Saturday, October 4, 2008

Facebook, stalking, and interviews

Alright. I know what I did was freaky. I was curious. I wanted to see if anyone from my work was on Facebook. I didn't think that my manager would be stupid enough to not have his privacy settings right.... so I could see his profile and also his... pics of (I know, way to make it seem worse than it actually is by censoring...)

I also found out that he's younger than Greg, and that with the old FB layout he would've been the guy with a 3-pgs-long profile....

That kind of tramatized me a bit. I mean I already know that I'm not going to like this term, but it gets me thinking: what if I looked him up before I accepted this position (or better yet, before I chose the office location)? I mean we all get told that employers sometimes look at our facebook profiles but - why couldn't it work both ways? Why couldn't we know a bit more about the kind of person that we're going to be stuck with for four months?

I honestly think I'm going to start doing this next term.

End of Entry

14 comments:

Steven said...

-remind self to check up on privacy settings again-

lol, great technique. cud use it to blackmail ur interviewer :P

lemme guess - just a bunch of pics of him getting shitfaced, right?

Steven said...

btw - can u see any photos of me? (other than profile)

Unknown said...

no. but you gotta show me some recent ones soon...

Steven said...

i prefer surprises. don't u?

Unknown said...

well, if they are pleasant surprises, i prefer them sooner rather than later =P

Oliver Warbux said...

not really...and it's no longer a surprise when I have undercover moles that send me pictures of steven shitfaced on a friday evening =D

Steven said...

lisa: well u have no say in the timing of this decision anyhow :P
mr. drama: u almost got me scared there, except the fact is i got owned on saturday night, not friday. nice try.

Oliver Warbux said...

mr. queens: the moles are still there and the pictures are still rolling in.

William said...

It is unbelievable that people judge others based on Facebook or other Interweb-based profiles. It is such an unfair evaluation and an inhumane action.

Unfortunately, us being the lowest of the lows, we have to comply with the authorities and censor our otherwise public information.

Unknown said...

william - the reason i thought this would be a good idea is how indicative of his personality (or lack thereof) my manager's facebook profile was. the thing is - you CAN tell a lot about a person by their FB profile. is it fool proof? no. could it be a good indicator of how much of an ass the person you're going to be working with is going to be? probably.

Unknown said...

oh and i love how you supported your claim so fully. you're really convincing.

Steven said...

lol...don't worry william, i can assure u i don't judge based on fb profiles...i judge u purely based on ur shoe color.

and for the record, ur shoe color tell me that ur a closet pedophile. hmmm....:P

unfair evaluation? please. it's called choice and consequences.

William said...

Well well well, I am not supporting my claims similar to you not supporting your claims. Haven't you notice the subtle implication?

Steven said...

lol william, u were never really that great w/ subtlety anyways XD